My Reflection on Jacob's Life - Part 2

Continuing on with my reflection on Jacob's life, today I will be touching something that may be quite controversial. 

Romans 9:13 tells us that God has chosen Jacob over Esau. As it is written, “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.” This is taken from Malachi 1:2. 

Let's take a look at Malachi 1:2-3 and Romans 9:10-13 for a moment. 

Mal 1:2-3 
“I have loved you,” says the Lord.
“Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’
Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?”
Says the Lord.
“Yet Jacob I have loved;
But Esau I have hated,
And laid waste his mountains and his heritage
For the jackals of the wilderness.”

Romans 9:10-13
And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one man, even by our father Isaac 
(for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 
it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.”
As it is written, “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.”

Source: Internet

Romans 9:14-24 addresses the questions that one may have. "You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” (Romans 9:19). 

Maybe you also feel or think it unfair that God has chosen and loved Jacob over Esau even while the twins were still in the womb? 

In addition to what Apostle Paul expounded in Romans 9:14-26 explaining how God chooses people according to His own purposes (Rom 9:11 (NLT)) and that God exercises His sovereignty in abundant mercy (Rom 9:15-24), I would like to share my reflection on this.

Firstly, it shows me that it truly is not of our works, but of grace - for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls.

Some may see this as unfair. Some may pity Esau. It's as though Esau had not even been given a chance to prove himself worthy before being judged or deemed by God. But my dear ones, that is exactly what the gospel is all about. 

It is not of who you are in yourself (your status etc.). 
It is not of what you have (your wealth, popularity etc.).
It is not of what you have done (your achievements, your works etc.). 

It is of His grace. 

To me, that is the good news! We will never be able to stand right before God, if not for Jesus! The Bible makes it abundantly clear that it is only by Jesus that we are forgiven, cleansed, made righteous with God. It is of His grace! 

If you see it from Esau's angle, I see it from another angle - Thank God that it is not by anything that Jacob has done. He would have fallen so short of the works required of him. 

And I put myself in Jacob's shoes, praise be to God that it is not of my works, but of Him who calls. I'm thankful for that. 

Secondly, I would like to use Jesus' words from the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. 

Matthew 20:15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?’

As the Apostle Paul asked, Does not the potter have power over the clay? (Rom 9:21), the landowner in the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard posed a similar question.  

Therefore, let us be like the workers who were addressed in the Parable. ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you.' 
(Note that the landowner called the workers friend.)

Take what is ours and go our way. 

Dear ones in Christ, therefore, 
Receive our identity in Christ. 
Receive and appropriate our blessings and promises in Christ. 
Then go our way, fulfilling God's purpose for us in our lives, bringing him glory. 

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood - Part 4 (Crucifying that Ideal)

Motherhood - Part 1 (Dying to Self)

Reflection from Daniel - Nebuchadnezzar