You are already clean because... (Part 1)

I mentioned previously that while I was reading the book of John, Holy Spirit spoke to me from three particular verses. Today, I'm going to pen down my reflection on the 3rd verse. 

(The other 2 verses are from John 20:17 and John 6:29. You may follow the link to read my reflections on these 2 verses.)


Now, shall we look at the 3rd verse? John 15:3. A verse spoken in the illustration of the True Vine.  

OK, I think I can confidently say that every Christian knows about the True Vine. It is a chapter in the gospel that must have been taught from and taught on countless times. Verses from John 15:1-8 must have been quoted and referenced numerous times as well. 

Source: Internet

Jesus, the true vine and we, the branches. Abiding, pruning and bearing fruit. 

And right smack in the middle of Jesus's Words is this revelation that caused my spirit to leap! 

John 15:3 (NKJV) You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.


I don't know about you. But I felt as though it's the first time I have ever read or heard this verse. 

Strange, isn't it? After all, "The True Vine" and "Abiding" and "Bearing Fruit" and "Pruning" teachings are such popular and much preached about topics.  

I know it's probably not true but it seemed as if, in every sermon that has quoted from John 15 (well, at least those that I have heard), the preacher must have gone from John 15:1-2 straight to verse 4, skipping verse 3. 

Either that, or maybe I was the one who hadn't been paying attention all this while. 馃槄


Anyway, this is the John 15 that I am familiar with. 

15 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.


So, when I read what Jesus said - that I am already clean because of the word which He has spoken to me - there was such joy over this revelation in my spirit, soul and body. 

My first thought was - "Wow, thank You, Holy Spirit! What an important revelation! How is it that I've never seen this verse before? All these years!" I was bewildered. 

My second thought right after that was - "Is there anyone out there who is like me? Who never paid attention to this verse?". 


First, let's take a look at the words in the original Greek. 

In John 15:2 when Jesus said that the Father prunes every branch that bears fruit, the word prune is katha铆r艒, which means "to cleanse, of filth impurity etc. (by purging)". 

katha铆r艒 is derived from the root word kathar贸s, which means "clean, pure". And kathar贸s is the word used in John 15:3 when Jesus said, you are already clean

Essentially, Jesus is saying that the Father takes away any branch that does not bear fruit and cleanse by pruning every branch that does bear fruit so that it bears more fruit. And because of what Jesus has said, we, the branches in Him, are already pruned and cleansed. We need only to continue abiding in Him, the vine. 


The biblical truth remains the same. 

Jesus is the vine. We are the branches. God, the Father is the vinedresser. 

The branches that abide in the vine are the ones that will bear fruit. The rest, will be trimmed away. 

The branches that are abiding in the vine and are bearing fruit need to be pruned (to be cleansed by purging off impurities etc.) in order to bear more fruit. 


But here's the part that I have missed - immediately after telling us that the abiding branches need to be cleansed/ purged/ pruned (katha铆r艒), He declared that we are already clean/ cleansed/ purged (kathar贸s). 


How? 

By the word which Jesus has spoken over us

The Passion Translation puts it this way "The words I have spoken over you have already cleansed you." 


Beloved in Christ,  

Yes, the vinedresser katha铆r艒 (cleanses by pruning) the branches. It is only when a branch is kathar贸s (clean)will the branch be able to be more fruitful. It is a biblical principle. 

And yes, the branch needs to abide in the vine. How else will the branch have life and bear fruit? 

But this is the fresh revelation that has blessed me tremendously. 

My Abba Father is the vinedresser. 

My Jesus is the vine. 

I am the branch that remains in the vine (Hallelujah for that!) 

I need to be cleansed by the vinedresser so that I can bear more fruit. 

AND!!! I am already cleansed by the Word, especially Jesus' words over me. 

I need only to abide in Jesus, in the Word, to remain cleansed and therefore, remain fruitful. 


You see, beloved in Christ, my continual revelation and affirmation from God throughout this pandemic period is this: 

On top of being forgiven, redeemed, reconciled, saved and loved everlastingly, I am also already whole, already cleansed, already healed, already victorious, already righteous, already blessed in Christ. 

All that I am, all that I have, all that I do are in Christ. And therefore, all that I am, I have, I do are from a place of "already". 


Dear brothers and sisters, if you are struggling with any sin/ weakness and are still trying to arrive at deliverance/ breakthrough/ victory, I pray that this truth will set you free. 

You may also read the book of Romans where the apostle Paul taught powerfully in this area. 

In every struggle against sin that you may face, in any katha铆r艒 that you felt you may be going through, please know that you are already kathar贸s. Because of the word that Jesus has spoken to us. 


As Jesus said, You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood - Part 4 (Crucifying that Ideal)

Motherhood - Part 1 (Dying to Self)

Reflection from Daniel - Nebuchadnezzar