An Unkind Love Letter

Heard these words that gripped my heart with sorrow the other day - my situation is too big for God. 


I wonder if you have ever felt that way too? That your life is too messy? Your situation too dire? Your problem too impossible? Your mistake/ weakness or sin too grave? Your pit too deep? 

For God to do anything with it or about it. 


As I received some not-so-good news these past few days, I debated within myself over this: to offer solace or edification? 

And as I pondered on this statement that 'my situation is too big for God', I realized that as much as I would love to offer comfort in this matter (for I understand that some situations can be so severe that it has a devastating impact on a person), I also know that I need to speak edification and truth into it. 

What I am writing about today may come across as insensitive and unkind. But I pray that you will hear my heart as you read it. 

It's my unkind, loving love letter. 

Source: Internet

1) Do you recognize the enemy's tactic to discourage and distract you?

Yes, the enemy, your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion (1 Pet 5:8), but don't forget that he is already defeated. The Bible is very clear on this. 

Col 2:15 (TPT) Then Jesus made a public spectacle of all the powers and principalities of darkness, stripping away from them every weapon and all their spiritual authority and power to accuse us. And by the power of the cross, Jesus led them around as prisoners in a procession of triumph. He was not their prisoner; they were his!

So you see, the devil really has no weapon or authority or power over us. 

Eph 6:11 (Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil) tells us that his only weapon is deception and lies. The original Greek word for 'wiles' is methodeia, which means cunning arts, deceit, craft, trickery. 

Yes, deceit and trickery. His tactics are the same throughout the ages and to everyone, including even Jesus. Read how he tempted Jesus in Luke 4. 

He knows he has no way to harm or destroy us. So he puts all his might and does all he can to discourage and distract us with lies. 

Knowing the devil's schemes and methods is a good start. But even more importantly, we need to be able to recognize it when it comes our way and counter it. 


2) What is it exactly that is too big for God - your issue or your 'self'?  

When someone says that their problem/ issue/ sin (or whatever it is they are struggling with) is too big for God, often, at the root of this statement is the focus on 'self' - the love of 'self'. 

You may not realize it or agree with it. 

But it is a subconscious way of magnifying our 'self' above God. A very subtle way of focusing on 'me and my issue', disguised in a mask of 'extreme humility' - I'm too sick/ sinful/ poor/ weak... 

Because, let's be frank about this - how can our issue ever be too big for God? Haven't we all heard that with God all things are possible (Matt 19:26)

So, when one says and truly believes that 'it' (whatever it may be) is too big for God, he/ she is looking at and is consumed by the 'it'. 

Again, please don't hear these questions as condemning accusations but rather, a loving prompting:

Have we put our entire focus into our 'it'? 

Have we unknowingly exalt our 'it' above God? 

Have we subconsciously exalt our 'self' above God? 

I would like to recommend this teaching by Andrew Wommack entitled Self-Centredness-The Source of All Grief where he teaches powerfully on the danger of centering on self. 


3) What do you love more - your image or your wholeness?   

My cell group's recent study topic was about speck and plank from Luke 6:42. 

Luke 6:42 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

We talked about mirror holders, godly friends who hold up a mirror to us so that we can see ourselves (and our planks) clearly. 

We also spoke about having the courage to look into the mirror and see the plank reflected in the mirror. And upon seeing the plank, remove it. 

I am aware that seeing and acknowledging the plank is painful, which is probably why it is so much easier to run away from the mirror (and mirror holder). It is also more appealing to give all sorts of reasons (the correct word here would be excuses). I suppose that is what the secular world would call 'in denial'. 

It dawned on me that part of having courage to start looking into the mirror is to turn from 'love of self' to God. It is to stop loving self more than God. It is to uproot self-centredness. 

Yes, my situation is that messy. 

Yes, my weakness is that frail. 

Yes, I am that imperfect/ ugly/ (whatever it may be for you). 

But I don't mind removing my mask (and pretense and self-protection and excuses etc.) and stand as I am in front of my mirror holder(s). Even if they might see my plank and ugly side. 

Because I shouldn't care so much about how I look to others. 

I love God more than I love 'looking good to others'. And what God wants for me, what God has purposed for me far outweighs the shame or pain of being vulnerable to others. 


Of course that has to be done with wisdom. But we can trust God to not let anyone malicious into our close proximity as mirror holders to hurt us. 

So, when God puts mirror holders (and mirrors) to our face, what would your decision be? 

I pray you will choose to love your wholeness more than your image. 


4) Are you insulting God's great work? 

I recently read this in Rick Renner's bible study notes from the teaching, The Holy Spirit and You.

Think about it. Have you ever complimented someone and they rejected it? For instance, you told a friend she looks as if she lost weight, and she responded, “Oh, no. I’m just as fat and ugly as ever. Actually, I’ve never looked worse.” Though unintentional, this is a rude way to respond to a compliment. In fact, it is the equivalent of throwing the compliment back in your face. It would be far more polite to be gracious and say, “Thank you. I’m so grateful you think that, and I appreciate you telling me I look better.”

The truth is, many Christians do this to God all the time! The Bible clearly states, “For he [God] hath made him [Jesus] to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him” (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ, we are righteous. But when we argue with God and tell Him how terrible we are, it’s like insulting His great work in our lives!

When I read that, I wanted to both laugh and cry at the same time. That is exactly how we are some times. 

God tells us we are xxx. We then respond to God, 'No God, we are yyy. That is why we zzz.'. 😂

We may not realize it but we are essentially insulting His great work in us! 


Beloved in Christ, if, today, you were to tell me that your (_fill in the blank_) is too big for God, I would like to respond this way. 


Dear friend, can I ask you four hard, unkind questions?  

1) Don't you see that this is the enemy's tactic to discourage and distract you? 

2) Is your issue too big for God? Or perhaps, are you thinking that God is too small for it?

3) Do you love your wholeness enough to turn from your love of self-image and break free from your situation? 

4) Do you realize that you have been insulting God's great work in you? 

My friend, I am very sorry if what I said sounds unloving and judgmental, but I pray that you will know that I love you much. And I only want to see you healed, victorious and whole in Christ. 

Love you, my brother/ sister in Christ. 

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood - Part 4 (Crucifying that Ideal)

Motherhood - Part 1 (Dying to Self)

Reflection from Daniel - Nebuchadnezzar