My Covid God Story: Irene Chapter - Part 5 (Abound and Abased)

If there is only 1 thing you remember after reading my entry today, I hope it will be this: 

Choose to see God's hands in every thing in our lives everyday.

(To be more precise, it's to see God's good hands.)


Going through this Covid episode has taught me this valuable lesson: Whatever situation that may come our way, recognise God's hands (God's working), and therefore, God's goodness in it.

Why do I say that, you asked? 

Well, simply because this covid thing plays out differently for us: My son, Daniel, and I with no symptom while Esther has slight fever. But whichever outcome it may be, I can say confidently that I see God's goodness in each individual case. 


As I reflected on the differences, I was reminded of 2 things that the Apostle Paul said.

First one is this - I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. (Ya, I know, this might be one of his less well-known statements, right?)

Second one, which is a very famous one, is this - I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me. I am very sure that all Christians would know this declaration. 

Yet, did you know that these 2 statements are related to each other? (Read Phil 4:11-13). When Apostle Paul said he can do all things through Christ, he was referencing (in a literal sense) of him being able to be abased and to abound. 


And what's more? Sandwiched in between these 2 statements is this line that lit a fire in my heart - 'I have learned the secret of living in every situation' (NLT). The MSG version translated it as such: 'I have found the recipe for being happy.'


NLT - I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. 

MSG - Actually, I don’t have a sense of needing anything personally. I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.

Source: Internet

I asked myself 2 questions: 

1. What is this secret (or recipe)?

I believe it is the secret of 'For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength' (Phil 4:13). To make it through anything (the whatever and wherever) in the One who makes me who I am. 

Note how the apostle Paul links Phil 4:12 and 13 with the word 'for', it seems to me that there is a connection. 


2. Have I learned this secret of living in every situation? To be abased and to abound (and regardless of it).

Well, I'm still learning. 🤣

But, I believe, as I choose to see God in every thing (both big and small) in my everyday life, as I recognise God's hands and His goodness in every situation that I'm in, as I see Christ in every scenario that may come my way, I'm getting there!


So, beloved in Christ, would you like to know, learn and master this secret of living in every situation? I know I do. 

I don't claim (nor do I pretend) to know what exactly is this secret that the Apostle Paul spoke about. I read the verses before and the verses after, in various different Bible translations only to find  that he did not so much as gave a hint on what the secret is, except that he has "learned it" and that "he can do all things because of Christ". 

It's as if the Apostle Paul has left us a secret code to crack and decipher for ourselves. 😅

It is a worthwhile quest though: To find out for ourselves what this secret of living in every situation is. 

To find out, to learn and to live in this secret of living, this recipe for being happy in every situation. 

Would you like to join me on this quest? 

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood - Part 4 (Crucifying that Ideal)

Motherhood - Part 1 (Dying to Self)

Reflection from Daniel - Nebuchadnezzar