From Love to Chasten

I recently mete out punishment to one of my children, for disobeying my instruction. 

It was over something quite small really. I had merely wanted them to take good care of a new 3D book that we bought for them. So I gave out clear and specific instructions on when and how they can play with it. Repeating myself a few times, just to make sure they understand and remember what is required of them. 


Unfortunately (and sadly), one of the children disobeyed. And said book was, inadvertently, slightly torn. 

Needless to say, disciplinary action was taken on the child that has disobeyed my instruction. I did what I said I would do - which was to keep away the book for a week. 


My child (whom I shall not reveal which one 😂 and let's just call said child 'A') was sad and thought the discipline too harsh. 

Well, to me, it wasn't harsh at all. In fact, I had done all I could to prevent it - I made sure that they understood and remembered my instruction. I had also forewarned them of the action that would be taken. In fact, they had agreed to it. 

But to my lil A, the disciplinary action was to punish and make A feel bad and sad. 


To which, I simply explained that my intention and objective is not to punish and make A feel bad. I don't punish my children simply for the sake of punishing. Or to make them feel bad about the situation or about themselves. 


Undeniably, there are times when my children make me so furious to the point that I had to invite Mr. Rotan to make an appearance and, at times, employ Mr. Rotan's expertise. 

(Now if you're wondering what Mr. Rotan is, Mr. Rotan is the Asian version of wooden spoon. In the bible, the biblical version of rotan or wooden spoon is the 'rod'. We all know what Proverb 13:24 tells us: He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly. Yup, that rod.) 

Yes, there are times when Mr. Rotan will be put to use. But, again, disciplinary actions are not meant to hurt or harm the receiver, physically or emotionally or mentally. 

Rather, it is so that A will know and remember that there is consequence to every action taken. In remembering that, prayerfully that A will be careful and watchful. 

A may not feel like it now. In fact, it may not seem like it. But every discipline from daddy mummy is, ultimately, for their good. 

When A disobeyed and was not careful, the book was torn. Although it is still pretty much playable after some minor fixing, they could no longer enjoy the fullness of the book. 

Just as when one disobeys and does something wrong, there is always consequence.

I'm not one to promote legalism. I'm all for love and bearing with love. But this is where the Bible tells us 'For whom the Lord loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives (Heb 12:6)'.

Source: Internet

Sometime, we look at God as an angry God, giving out punishment because well, wrong = sin = punishment. And we get the concept that, somehow, God enjoys giving punishment. 

That, alas, could not be more wrong. 


Consider Adam and Eve. 

When God sent them out of the garden of Eden, it was not to harm them. It was not for God's pleasure, nor was it for God's benefit. 

On the contrary, it was for Adam and Eve's benefit, it was to protect them - 'lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever (Gen 3:22)'. 

Yes, you may argue on this. But from this verse, this is what I understand - We were not intended to live forever. (And if Adam and Eve were to eat of the fruit of the tree of life, that is what would happen.)

If God purpose and design us like that (not live forever), then that is the best for us. 

So, you see, what God was really doing was that He was actually protecting Adam and Eve. 


In the natural eyes and perception, it had seemed that God, out of His anger, had banished them out of the beautiful garden of Eden. (Note how the word 'banish' carries a negative feel to it.)

When, in fact, God did what He did to protect them. It was meant for their good. 


And so it is, likewise, with my children. When I correct or discipline them, it is for their good. My heart is one that wants the best for them. 


My little A, may you understand mummy's heart wholly one day...

And may we, God's children, His Adams and Eves, understand God's heart wholly today.

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood - Part 4 (Crucifying that Ideal)

Motherhood - Part 1 (Dying to Self)

Reflection from Daniel - Nebuchadnezzar