My God Story: Part 6.7 - Of Wells, Fountain and Rivers

I wrote previously about re-digging and drawing water again from my wells of salvation. 

I also mentioned as well that, after speaking to me about wells, God spoke to me about another 2 types of water, found in John 4 and John 7. 


John 4:13-14 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

John 7:37-39 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive;


Can you deduce what the other 2 types of waters are now?

If your answer is 'fountain' and 'river', then BINGO! That's right! 


Let's first look at John 4. 

I'm sure all of us are familiar with the story in John 4, recording the conversation between Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well of Jacob. I urge you to read again John 4:10 - 15, slowly. 

Notice how the Samaritan woman responded to Jesus when He said that 'He would have given you living water' - by asking Him "Where then do You get that living water?" and "Are you greater than?"

Jesus did not answer her questions, rather He gave her (and us) these life-giving truths:

  1. Whoever drinks of the water from the well will thirst again (vs 13)
  2. Whoever drinks of the water that Jesus shall give (the living water referenced in vs 10) will never thirst (vs 14)

Pay attention also to what Jesus said about this living water - it will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life. 


Now, let's look at John 7. And also take a look at some of the OT Scriptures referenced by Jesus in John 7:38. I know there are more, but I would like to look at only 2 here - Isa 55:1 and Isa 44:3

Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters;

For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground;
I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring;

He was inviting all of us who thirst to go to Him to drink. And with drinking being a metaphor for believing in Him, this is what Jesus was saying. 

As we come to Him, we drink of Him. 

As we drink of Him, it signifies our believing in Him. 

As we believe in Him, we receive the Spirit. 

And as we believe and receive, out of our hearts will flow rivers of living water.


How wonderful it is to have rivers of living water flowing out of our hearts! 

And how wonderful is our relationship with our God! All that we have and will ever have in God are ours simply by coming to Him, believing in Him and receiving from Him. 

How awesome is that!  


Now, coming back to the 3 waters that God has spoken to me from - wells (Gen 26), fountain (John 4) and rivers (John 7) - the Holy Spirit was showing to me that our life in Christ is never stagnant. 

As I read of the wells of salvation, of the fountain of water springing up into everlasting life and of the rivers of living water, I heard the Holy Spirit telling me that I would not just stop at drawing water from my wells. 

He assured me that I will grow from glory to glory, graduating from a well on to a fountain and then on to a river. 


I see these pictures in my mind. 

As a well, I need to put in some effort and draw the water out. And if anyone has need of water to drink from, one has to come to the well and draw water out from it. 


As a fountain, I now have access to the water easily and quickly. It is no longer hidden under the ground. My water springs up from under the ground to the surface. But one still has to come to the fountain. 


As a river, on the other hand, 

1) My water is no longer limited to a space or location. Because a river flows. 

2) My water is always living and new and good. It is not stale. Because a river flows. 

3) My water now flows and reaches as many as crosses path with my river. One can stay wherever they are and still get water from the river, simply because my river flows out of me to where they are. 

Source: Internet

Beloved in Christ, this is true and available for me and you - of well, fountain and river. 

Are you quenched today? Don't be satisfied with wells and fountains. Desire the living water river. God wants us to be a river! 

Are you thirsty today? Just come to Jesus. Drink of the living water. Receive the Holy Spirit. 

And see the manifestation of Jesus' Words in your life - Not only will you never thirst again, you will have rivers of living water flowing out of your heart unto everlasting life! Hallelujah! 


Having said that, brothers and sisters in Christ, I firmly believe that our rivers of living water is not only for our own edification and benefit, but also for building others up. 

May we each have a living water river and may our rivers bless us (ourselves) and others as well! 

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood - Part 4 (Crucifying that Ideal)

Motherhood - Part 1 (Dying to Self)

Reflection from Daniel - Nebuchadnezzar